In the summer of 1955, the outer structure, basement, and main floor classrooms of St. Agnes School were completed under the leadership of Father Timothy Malony, pastor of St. Agnes parish. Classes for grades one through three began on September 6 of that year with an enrollment of 89 students. Only the four classrooms on the main floor were occupied while construction continued on the second floor rooms.
Each year following 1955, another grade was added until by September 1960, there were grades one through eight with a total enrollment of 247 students, eight fulltime teachers, and the services of a band director. All eight grades continued until the fall of 1968 when the cost of maintaining the two upper grades become prohibitive for St. Agnes parish and grades seven and eight were discontinued.
In 1966 during the pastorate of Father James Whalen, the gymnatorium was added to the original structure of the school. In the early 1960's and after the gym was built, St. Agnes sported winning basketball teams from grades five through seven and eight.
1980 marked the beginning of kindergarten at St. Agnes. The count for this new class was 33.
St. Agnes School has always been a leader in innovative teaching and has moved ahead with changes in methods of teaching and curriculum. Operating under the supervision of the State of Nebraska and the Diocese of Grand Island, all teachers hold no less than a Bachelor of Science in Education Degree, plus graduate hours.
September 6, 2005 marked the 50th anniversary of St. Agnes School. With an enrollment of 81 students, St. Agnes employs 7 full time teachers, a half-time music instructor, a half-time physical education instructor.